[pmmail-list] How to stop duplicate messages

Larry Alkoff pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:26:47 -0500

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:49:02 +1000, Rod.. Whitworth wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:57:29 -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>
>>Using PMMail Professional v2.20.2711 under Windows 98.
>>
>>I have found that many times a download of several hundred messages will stall
>>at a single message and does not complete.  This may be some kind of server error.
>>
>>When this happens and I re-download the mail, the messages I previously got are duplicated
>>leaving me the chore of hand deleting the dupes.  Sometimes I have gotten 3 or 4 stalls
>>which leads to that many duplicates.
>>
>>It seems that, although PMMail reports it is deleting each message from the server
>>right after it downloads them, it must actually simply be _flagging_ the messages
>>for deletion.  When the entire download stalls, it never gets to the physical delete part.
>
>That is exactly how POP servers work. Unless you get to issue the QUIT
>command at the end of the session no deletion occurs.
>

>>The duplicates message all have the same date, time and text and _may_ be identical except for
>>the PMMail assigned file name.
>>
>>Is there any way to programatically delete the dupes?
>
>Well they aren't really duplicates and I see that Greg Marx has given
>you an answer but I'd like to extend it a bit.
>
>If you regularly have hundreds of messages and therefore are likely to
>run into this situation I'd suggest you use remote control all the
>time. It will also save you downloading messages you know to be spam or
>otherwise unwanted.
>
>Play with it a little and I'm sure it will become your friend.

I'm willing to play with remote control but I'd feel a lot more comfortable
with an overview of what it's all about.
The PMMail help hasn't.

Basically I have no idea of what remote control is for and what it does.

I'm a top down kinda guy doncha know <g>

Larry

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX