[pmmail-list] How to stop duplicate messages

Rod.. Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:49:02 +1000

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:57:29 -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:

>Using PMMail Professional v2.20.2711 under Windows 98.
>
>I have found that many times a download of several hundred messages will stall
>at a single message and does not complete.  This may be some kind of server error.
>
>When this happens and I re-download the mail, the messages I previously got are duplicated
>leaving me the chore of hand deleting the dupes.  Sometimes I have gotten 3 or 4 stalls
>which leads to that many duplicates.
>
>It seems that, although PMMail reports it is deleting each message from the server
>right after it downloads them, it must actually simply be _flagging_ the messages
>for deletion.  When the entire download stalls, it never gets to the physical delete part.

That is exactly how POP servers work. Unless you get to issue the QUIT
command at the end of the session no deletion occurs.

>The duplicates message all have the same date, time and text and _may_ be identical except for
>the PMMail assigned file name.
>
>Is there any way to programatically delete the dupes?

Well they aren't really duplicates and I see that Greg Marx has given
you an answer but I'd like to extend it a bit.

If you regularly have hundreds of messages and therefore are likely to
run into this situation I'd suggest you use remote control all the
time. It will also save you downloading messages you know to be spam or
otherwise unwanted.

Play with it a little and I'm sure it will become your friend.

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?