[pmmail-list] Syncing/Sharing mail between 2 copies of PMMail

Larry Alkoff pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:11:21 -0500

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 03:19:40 -0700 (PDT), Ni Mh wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using separate copies of PMMail at the office and
>at home. The office copy is installed on a laptop
>which I'm able to bring home as and when is needed. Is
>there any way I can sync the 2 copies so that they
>share a common mail database? What is the most
>efficient way to do this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>CK

I use two methods.

My wife uses PMMail on her computer.
I monitor her email by also having her account on my
computer with mail receiving set to "leave messages on server".
Everything is fine so long as I download her messages first.
Luckily she doesn't send /get much mail.

The other method is used to synch two of my own computers.
Typically the desktop and laptop.
My mail is kept in a c:\mail subdirectory with sub-subs for
PMMail, Agent and some other things.
To synchronize I simply copy all files of the c:\mail directory
including subdirectories from the most recent
to the target with an option to only copy newer files.

For the copy process I use 4DOS which is a command.com replacement with many features
including the ability to copy /u which only copies updated files.
Xcopy32 can also do this with the /d option.  I'm not sure about Xcopy (16 bit version).

Hope this helps,

Larry Alkoff

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX