[pmmail-list] Syncing/Sharing mail between 2 copies of PMMail

Stephen Y. Odo pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:41:44 -1000

Sorry about that Larry.  As someone else pointed out.  It
really is none of my business.  As a SysAdmin I'm real
touchy about any monitoring of other people's e-mail and I
responded before I realized that you aren't part of the
network I'm responsible for ...   :-P

In case anyone is wondering ... there are liabilities involved
with monitoring of e-mail.  For example, if one of our SysAdmins
is monitoring e-mail, then our organization becomes responsible
for the content of any e-mail originating on those systems.

We've already been sued a number of times because some student
sent out some objectionable e-mail.  We were lucky that we had
a documented policy in place that states that we do not monitor
e-mail.

So, it's become a habit that whenever a SysAdmin talks about
monitoring e-mail that I make sure they are only monitoring
for diagnostic purposes and not looking at the content. And that
the users of the systems they are monitoring are informed ahead
of time about the process (what we are monitoring, how we are
doing it, etc.) and know when we begin and end monitoring
their system.  You know, all that silly administrative stuff to
make sure we don't get visited by somebody's attorney ...

-- Stephen

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:55:43 -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:
>>WHY are you monitoring your wife's e-mail?  I hope it's with
>>her permission ...
>
>With her permission and knowledge of course.
>I'm the sysop ya know.
>
>Actually I hardly ever read the stuff, just try to help her
>with problems (she's non-technical) and weed out her spam.
>She gets a lot more spam than me even though I'm much more active.

Stephen Y. Odo
Senior Systems Programmer                    phone:       (808)956-2383
Information Technology Services              FAX:         (808)956-2412
University of Hawai'i                        e-mail: Stephen@Hawaii.Edu
Region Registrar                                  e-mail:  syo@Lava.Net
American Youth Soccer Organization                 phone: (808)847-1076
Honolulu Region 178                                  FAX: (808)847-1076