[pmmail-list] Yea! An HTML email troll!

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:47:53 +0100 (BST)

Excellent! It's about time we had another a blood-boiling and
fruitless HTML mail argument. Sure beats the hell out of the "BPSW
are [not] supporting PMMail" arguments!

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:15:28 +0700, Jeffrey Race wrote:

>There is no way to know how it was intended because html is not
>a page description language.
True, although  with a full and strict iplementation of CSS1 (or better
CSS2) it *could* be, however there's no requirment for it to be, and
there's no way of knowing or interogating the remote recipients'
capabilities! It's a huge mess!

Simply stripping all the HTML tags (as PMMail/2 does) is just
as legitimate an interpretation of the HTML as (the several man-years
effort required to) implement all of HTML4 and CSS2 formatting! I
doubt [m]any mailers implement this except (recent versions of)
Outlook which simply uses IE to do it's HTML dirty-work (whoosh,
here comes another worm)!

>See <http://www.camblab.com/nugget/htmlmail.pdf>
Not bad!  Although you don't mention that no standards exist to
govern the *behaviour* of html-aware mailers (only the MIME
packaging of them) e.g.

1. Whether the client/renderer should "follow" embedded
   URLs (e.g. to fetch embedded images, style-sheets, and
   other objects, which allow spammers to trace you, and
   malware onto your system) or not. Even forgetting the
   security implications for a moment, such objects might
   be on a remote intranet, behind a firewall or otherwise
   inaccessible to the mail client)!

2. Whether (or according to what rules) the sender should MIME
   encode/package objects referred to via embedded URLs or not
   (and how deeply etc).

3. Which elements if HTML are supported, and how they are supported
   in the context of email (e.g. forms)

You'll find different versions of Outlook behave differently
wrt to these points - brilliant - I suppose MS think we need email
so that we can fail to communicate properly with other
users!?

IMO any "techies" who thought of html email in the first place but
who didn't dismiss the idea out of hand as being unworkably stupid
and impossibly technically unsound (within minutes) should be lined
up against a wall and shot.  IMO these people have given up their
right to design software! If they'd been working for MS-Japan, I've
no doubt they'd have done the honourable thing by now ;-) Had it
have been me, I would have had to leave the profession - I wouldn't
have been able to cope with either the shame or the derision and
hatred of my peers!

I can even remember having several pub conversations with
fellow programmers that started off with one saying something
like "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to support HTML in email..."
only to have numerous technical hurdles thrown up within
*seconds*!

The technical *incompetance* of the guys at NS and MS who
started (or allowed) this rubbish is *absolutely staggering*
to me!

Imagine if you worked for a car manufacturer and they said
that in the interests of "improving" their product (e.g. reduce the
weight), they were going to make a car out of paper!

Hopefully engineers within the organisation would ask what would
happen to it when it rained, caught fire or crashed etc etc.
Hopefully they would then either cancel the project as unworkably
stupid, or find solutions to the problems.

This didn't happen with HTML email - it DOES exist, is HIGHLY
problematic and NO SOLUTIONS to many of the technical problems
exist!

IMO this could only have happened in the USA, where they have an
appallingly cavalier attitude to engineering and technology¹.
The Germans, for example, with their fine tradition of excellent
engineering practice would (correctly) never have allowed it!

Maybe programmers should be licensed! There'd be a lot less of
them and a lot less software, but I'd bet that it'd be a lot
more useful than the triumph of form-over-function throw-away-ware
that serves as software today!

[So, I think I'm with you on this one Jefferey ;-)!]

Simon
--
¹Soon they'll have assililated the difference between cm and inches!