[pmmail-list] virus kills pmmail

Robert Traynor (BobT) pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:35:34 +1000

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:56:50 +0100 (BST), Dave Saville wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:50:16 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Francis wrote:
>
> >It's a long-standing (was going to say "known", but as I think of it
> >I've never received any confirmation back from BSW from all the
> >complaints, attached messages that crash PMMail/2, etc, that I've
> >sent over the past 2 years about this problem) issue with PMMail/2.
> >
> >I now have PMMail configured such that I can start it up in Remote
> >Control.  I then make a pass thru and delete all the obvious spam.
> >Before, it would invariably crash several times/week.  Now it's not so bad.
> >

> I also contacted Norman, and there is a new version due soon that
> will at least delete the mail before pmmail sees it. According to
> Norman support "A program trying to open a file that we find infected
> will get error 5 (access denied) in return."
>
> Now to my simple mind I suspect that what is happening inside pmmail
> is that it *knows* it just wrote xyzzy123.MSG and when it can't read
> back what it *knows* is there it craps out. ie they have not
> correctly coded checking return codes from open because "we just
> wrote the file it *must* be there and *must* have opened OK". They
> then go on and read from a closed file handle or something and fall
> over.
>
> Most likely this explains a good percentage of "spam kills pmmail"
> problems. Now who gets killer spam and has *no* AV in place?

ME.

You are probably right. I never have any problems at all, ever.
I don't bother with any antivirus programs from os/2, only when I am
in windows 98se and XP.  When I receive email with
worms attached or viruses, they come in with no problems.
Spam also comes in with regular monotony.

All problem mail is easily identified and deleted manually AFTER
downloading.

> Regards
> Dave Saville

Regards,
Robert Traynor (BobT).
12 August 2003   22:33
[replying from winXP at this moment]

   ,-._|\       Robert Traynor        (BobT)
 /  Oz  \      email            rtraynor@removeme.optusnet.com.au
 \_,--.x/