[pmmail-list] SMTP mail receive

Bruce Francis pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:58:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:05:34 -0500, Oberon wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:44:44 -0500, Dave wrote:
>>On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:15:24 -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:
>>>It can also be used to move mail between different accounts.  A folder
>>I know this feature has been discussed many times over the years on
>>this list.  Can you dredge up an old instruction on how to do this,
>>and what the effect is on the "originating" account?
>>Anyway, if you can find some older discussions and send them,
>>to me directly if you wish, please do.

I've written this several times to the list (and don't mind doing
it again, but kind of wish that BSW would put it up on their website
as an FAQ).   A number of people have complained over the years
that PMMail needs a "filter to a different" account function (where
over the years means for well more than 6 years), and every time I
reply that "it works for me".   Then they read the way it is done and
decide they'll just "wait until it is implemented."    They're still
waiting, and I've been using it daily for more than 6 years now.....

This also allows you to setup a different "account" for different
"personalities" (as used in another popular email client).  In each
"personality" you can have a different "From:" and "Reply-To:", etc.

Anyway, here's a re-post from my "archives":

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:44:19 +0100 (MEZ), Manfred Usselmann wrote:

>>>How do I achieve this with different accouts? Even if it would be
>>
>>This *is* not only possible, but I do it all the time.  I have about two
>>dozen "accounts" like this (where I webmaster, get email addressed
>
>Thanks. Using a folder of one account as incoming SMTP path for another
>account is a good idea.
>Though it is not very easy for the average user. It can be a little bit
>difficult to identify the correct path name. The biggest problem is that
>it is not very obvious. A lot of people simply will not find this
>solution.  And it seems not to be possible to collect mails from more
>than one account because you can specify only one smtp path.

No, you're still missing the details.  You *can* have more than one account,
and you can have multiple paths.  I know -- I have over 2 dozen of them
(haven't counted them lately).

Details:
1) For each new account create a new, separate, inbound mail folder/directory.
   (I have mine grouped under   x:\tcpip\smtpmail
   such as x:\tcpip\smtpmail\sportline   and    x:\tcpip\smtpmail\heatpump  ... etc)
2) Set up a new account in PMMail.   In this example assume it to be Sportline.
3) Under   Account|Settings|Receive in Sportline account, set the "Type" to SMTP,
  and the path to       x:\tcpip\smtpmail\sportline
4) In your main account (the one for your ISP, that you normally receive all of
  your mail into), create a new filter "Sportline":
       Filter:   h.to="@sportline" | h.cc="@sportline"
             [I'm getting email forwarded to me addressed to "Sportline_xyz.com", and
             this is my use.  You might want to set your filter up differently, depending
             on what you're using it for.]
       Action: User-hook (background)      Sportline.CMD
                  Inform User      (you might want to do this, or not)
                  Delete message (local copy)
                  Stop filtering
5) Create   Sportline.CMD
================ Sportline.CMD =============================
/* REXX command used w/PMMail to route inbound mail to specific SMTP directory */

ARG EmailFile
"Copy " EmailFile "x:\tcpip\smtpmail\Sportline\"
Exit
============= end of Sportline.CMD ===========================

6) repeat this procedure for each of the accounts you want to setup, changing
 SMTP directories and CMD files appropriately.

This process uses filters to automatically (and without intervention)
move messages between accounts.   Trevor mentioned earlier that one should
use Accounts for "Personalities", and this is a very, very easy way to do it.
You can set up a PMMail Account for each of these "Personalities" and
then read and reply to email from those "Personalities".   (I use it to supervise
the website work that I do, to keep all of the sites filed individually into
Account folders, and to use the "Personalities" to reply to the mail for
each of those site.)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.