[pmmail-list] [mkc] bcc: Inconvenience

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:41:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:16:43 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:

>  That is as it should be. BCC is *BLIND* carbon copy, meaning it cannot be seen. You
>only see BCC entries in the compose window. The message in the Sent folder is how it
>was sent (and ultimately received), not how it was composed.

No, I disagree.  And, it should not matter which OS.  [And, it does not
seem to matter for Dave.]

Let's be sure we are all talking about the SAME COPY of a message.
There are THREE possibilities:

1) The compose window:  This is BEFORE the message is sent.  There is a
single window for 'cc' and 'bcc' that alternately displays the
recipients.  Some to be placed in the transmitted message [cc] and some
to be 'hidden' [bcc] in the transmitted message.

2) The Sent Mail Folder:  This is where PMMail puts the message
as/after it is transmitted to the ISP [or Mail server, if you prefer].
This is a complete COPY of what was SENT to the ISP.  It will ONLY have
the header records that are created by PMMail.  This copy of the
message has/will not see nor be seen on the Internet.  This copy DOES
have the 'bcc:' header records and in my OS/2 [and in Dave's Win2K]
system, viewing the "Full Header" [or the "Full Message"] WILL show
that header record.  And, an aside, if you are looking at the message
only in the PMMail viewer, you will not see the 'bcc' list.  You MUST
either:
	Window->View Full Header [Ctrl-V]
	Window->View Full Message [Alt-V]
or [at least in OS/2]
	Click the 'toggle' tool-bar icon.
	  [It's the one that looks like a square with
	  five small horizontal lines through the top
          half of the icon.]
The normal message viewing window/panel does *not* have a 'bcc' field.
So, even for this copy, the 'bcc' list will not show without the extra
'clicks' just mentioned.

3) The copy of the message that has gone out on the network and been
echoed back to the sender, either because it has the sender in the
'To:' or the 'cc:' or the 'bcc:' field.  Because this version of the
message has actually been out on the network [via the ISP's SMTP
server], it will NOT show the 'bcc:' header record.  The SMTP server
*looks* at the 'bcc:' record, sends the message to those IDs listed and
then DELETEs the 'bcc:' and all of the IDs in that record.  Again,
because this message has been 'transmitted' it will NOT show the BLIND
copy recipients.  That is, in essence, the definition of 'bcc'.

So, if you are looking at any message in #2 that has a 'bcc' list, you
should see the list of names.  If you are looking at #1, there are NO
HEADER records established yet, so the only place you can see anything
about the recipients is in the cc/bcc window.  And, the #3 copy, should
NEVER have the 'bcc' list shown no matter what hot-keys or menu items
you use.

Now, are we all talking about the #2 copies of the message?  Any
discussion of the others is really not productive in resolving the
stated problem.

Carl