[pmmail-list] [mkc] bcc: Inconvenience

Steve Marvin pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:44:34 -0400

Not all of this is correct. The SMTP server does not look inside the message
data (should not - I don't know ALL possible SMTP servers) and delete lines.

The way PMMail works is that To: Cc: and Bcc: are placed inside the message
body in the outbox, but when sending the DATA to the SMTP server the Bcc:
header is suppressed.

If you actually send a message with Bcc: header(s) in the message data, it
will arrive at the destination with them still there (can't do this with
PMMail because it strips that header).

Prove it to yourself by drafting a message with Bcc: and run a packet
sniffer or use OS/2's IPTrace while sending it to the server.

Now draft a message without a Bcc: and queuing it in the outbox. Manually
edit with a text editor and add a Bcc: anywhere in the headers. Send
with the packet sniffer on and look at the packets (voila no Bcc:).