[pmmail-list] [mkc] bcc: Inconvenience

Rod.. Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:04:55 +1000

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:16:12 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:03:58 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:30:51 -0400 (EDT) in
>>20030828073116.BTWT24432.smtp02.fuse.net@A30pCG "Carl Gehr"
>><Carl.Gehr@attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Then, please tell me:
>>> 	HOW can SMTP possibly know WHO to send the BLIND copies to
>>> 	if it never sees the 'bcc' tags because PMMail strips the
>>> 	IDs?
>>
>>It strips the bcc: header, but it has already used this as the
>>_envelope_ From: address by this time.
>
>I guess I'm dense...  What does the 'bcc' have to do with 'From'?
>
>And, even if it is stripped at this point, this does not keep PMMail
>from saving the #2 [see previous post] message in the SENT file with
>the 'bcc' intact.  I guess I keep belaboring this point because I see
>the tag and its list of IDs in every message I send with a 'bcc' list.
>And, it appears that other who are using the Win version are also
>seeing the tag.
>
>Maybe someone who thinks the tag is NOT there should go into the raw
>SENT directory/folder and edit the message with a plain old text editor
>and see if the tag is there.  I know it is in mine.  I see it.
>
>Carl

Might I suggest that if you are interested in how email works and how
email is <supposed> to work and the cases in between you get a copy of:
"Internet Email protocols"
  "A Developer's Guide"
by Kevin Johnson ISBN 0-201-43288-9

which spends a little too much space for me to quote on the 3 methods
of handling BCC.
Besides, if you do buy it, it will help you quote authoratively from
the RFCs on CD in future discussions.

No, I am not related to the author and I do not have any financial
interest in the publisher. It has been a great handbook when I have
been writing email handling code and it is always near at hand.

/R/

"Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever."  - Anonymous