[pmmail-list] Surge in Junk email?

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 03:06:17 -0800

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:55:53 +0100, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>But you need better filters and constanly modifying it. Why should
>I have to take time for this, when I didn't ask for it in the first
>place?

I use SpamAssassin, it's free, it's open source, it's relatively easy to
setup, and it's powerful.

I use a whitelist of everyone I have ever received email from (easy to create
since PMMail nicely stores all the messages as plain text, I just searched
for lines that start with FROM:, the first one in each message).

I use the baysian filter support where it builds a database of what is spam
and what is not, works well in combination with all the other features in
SpamAssassin.

I get over 300 spam messages a day, maybe 3 or 4 get past SpamAssassin. I can
deal with that.

I've also setup my mother with it, we did it over the phone, she's in her
70's and couldn't tell you how to cut/paste some text, yet it went pretty
smoothly, longest part was her downloading the Windows version of
SpamAsssassin over her modem connection.

Changing email addresses to get rid of spam is insanely stupid.  I still get
email from the account I opened in early 1995, with SpamAssassin the
occasional nugget of gold still gets through (someone contacting me at my old
address).