[pmmail-list] Surge in Junk email?

Sorin Srbu pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:55:53 +0100

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:17:05 -0800, Tim Roberts wrote:

>I'm surprised at the number of people who are willing to change ISPs
>and/or e-mail addresses.  I can't imagine the hassle that would cause me.

It's not an option for me either... 8-/

>I absolutely refuse to alter my Internet behavior in response to stupidity
>on the part of spammers.  That's like admitting that they have won.

Yeah, it's the principle. As a matter a fact I saw a thing in a
spam I got yesterday, that surprised me. THere's no end to what a
spammer will do to screw up filter. Like instead of "penis" they
write "p/enis". This is so stupid. Why can't the governments ban
spamming altogether? How hard can it be? Nobody wants it for one
thing... Spam is a pet peewee for me, and I can help getting
frustrated over it... 8-/

>I've
>had the same e-mail address for 10 years; my address is on multiple public
>web sites, and I've submitted thousands of newsgroup postings, always with
>my real address.  I get about 100 spams and 40 viruses per day, but
>SpamAssassin happily routes all of them to a trash bin.  I haven't had a
>false positive in half a year, so I rarely even look at the trash any
>more.
>
>Filtering is the answer, not dodging and hiding.

But you need better filters and constanly modifying it. Why should
I have to take time for this, when I didn't ask for it in the first
place?

WHat's the general opinion on the spam law the us has passed (will
pass?)? Will it make things better at all? Or is it just hotair?

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer		Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,		Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals >> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,			Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University		Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden		Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# Cannot delete tmp150---3.tmp: There is not enough free disk
space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try
again.