[pmmail-list] OT Surge in Junk email?

Dean Boulding pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:09:02 +0700

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:55:53 +0100, Sorin Srbu wrote:
|WHat's the general opinion on the spam law the us has passed (will
|pass?)? Will it make things better at all? Or is it just hotair?
|
|BW,
|
|Sorin

I don't know much about the new law, but I have a different pet peeve, and
it's the folks calling themselves SPEWS.  I have a few folks I can't send
email to, because a few anonymous individuals have decided that my web/mail
host is naughty, and they have blacklisted one or more spammers, then
broadened the scope of the blacklist until it included my mail server.
When people complain (lots of archives on this) their pat answer is that I
should change hosts.  Since I prepaid for two years, I don't want to do
this.

These folks strike me as well-intentioned, but self important and misguided
folks, who have lost the reason why they started.  Their zealousness has
caused them (IMO) to overstep the bounds of good common sense, and lose
sight of how the real world works.  Arbitrarily punishing honest folk,
anonymously, without offering any process for appeal, is not consistent
with the judicial systems most civilized countries have established.
Nonetheless, their claim that they are only providing a service to ISPs,
who are the ones doing the blocking, is correct.

I hate to say it, but the internet, and particularly email, is becoming a
utility, like electricity or phone service, and will need to be regulated
accordingly.  If nothing else, this would bring accountability back.

Dean Boulding, Jennifer Crocker, and kids
Jakarta Indonesia