[pmmail-list] OT Surge in Junk email?

Wayne Dunham pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:20:35 -0500

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:09:02 +0700, Dean Boulding wrote:
> I have a few folks I can't send
> email to, because a few anonymous individuals have decided that my
> web/mail host is naughty, and they have blacklisted one or more
> spammers, then broadened the scope of the blacklist until it
> included my mail server.   When people complain (lots of archives
> on this) their pat answer is that I should change hosts.  Since I
> prepaid for two years, I don't want to do this.

  I know the feeling.  I use Email.com as my mailbox.  Then everything is=
 forwarded from there to my "real" email address.  I did this mainly to save=
 myself from having to keep changing my Email address with all my contacts=
 every time my ISP changed.  Now I just go to Email.com and change where it=
 forwards my mail to the new ISP.
  Email.com is on some blacklists because of their free Email (is it still=
 free?), but I pay for my account since forwarding isn't free and more. =
 Unfortunately that means I get lumped in with all the spammers using the=
 free address even though I'm legit.

  If you take a look at the header for this message you'll note I'm not=
 sending it with PmMail.  I've finally moved on to a new Email program=
 called PocoMail.  www.pocomail.com
  It was a bear getting my PmMail address books over to this program, as it=
 is exporting PmMail to just about any Email program with PmMail's crappy=
 half finished import/export functions.
  Getting my messages in was very laborious and time consuming but went=
 well.  I had over 550 saved messages in 22 folders/subfolders.  First I had=
 to create the folders/subfolders in PocoMail.  Then getting the messages=
 ported over was a simple matter of using a command line window (can you=
 tell I date back to the OS/2 days of PmMail) to mass rename all the .msg=
 files from PmMail to .eml.  Then all I had to do was drag/drop them into=
 the proper folder/subfolder in Pocomail.

  This is only a few days into using PocoMail at all and the first day=
 having it as my default Email.  It is different, but then again anything=
 would be because I've been using PmMail so long.
  My one nitpick so far is that I've never been a fan of the preview pane so=
 I read all my mail  in a message read window and used the keyboard=
 shortcuts like F9 (Delete and down), F12 (Next), etc to handle the=
 disposition of the message I was reading and where to go next.  So far I=
 haven't found an equivalent ease of navigation in PocoMail.  I have just=
 scratched the surface though so there may be a way to do it I haven't found=
 yet.  It could also be that I'm just an old dog that has to learn a new=
 trick. :)

  I don't want to start a whole new flame war on Html support, but PocoMail=
 does support it and you can select how you want it handled globally as well=
 as on an individual message status.  You can had it do nothing and just=
 view it as html using it's own browser, which addresses some of the=
 security concerns since it doesn't have the IE hooks that most virii and=
 spyware look for, have it "sanitize" the html which basically strips off=
 any html that uses a website for display, to completely stripping html.
  As far as I can tell right now, it doesn't change the original Email in=
 any way it just performs those actions before viewing them.

  Another nice thing is that PocoMail also makes a version specifically=
 designed for removable media.  This means you can put your Email onto a Zip=
 disk, CDRW, Pendrive, etc and become totally portable with your Email.  =
 You can buy it separately or as a package with the desktop version.  I'm=
 still in evaluation mode but if I do decide to purchase I'll probably buy=
 the package deal.

  PocoMail is $34.95, the portable edition is $39.95 and the package with=
 both is $59.95.
  It has built in filtering capabilities somewhat similar to PmMail and can=
 go much further it appears.
  It's skinnable but I haven't looked at that much yet other than to view=
 some of the skins available at their website which range from the bizarre=
 to the sublime. :)

  Sorry to prattle on, but I know this subject is coming up more often in=
 this newsgroup.  Especially since nobody has heard boo from anyone was BSW=
 in a LONG time.

      Wayne Dunham
       waynedunham@email.com