[pmmail-list] long-time question

Maurice Guéron pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:00:46 +0100 (CET)

James, Thank you for the prompt and clear response. Still, I'm not quite
sure.

I'll put my comments in upper case.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:33:13 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:
|  The first two are ways the mail message are sent over the mail
transport.
THE MESSAGE THAT I AM SENDING?

|>Quoted printable
|>
|  Encodes the message characters in such a way that allows only 7 bit
octets. It
|"escapes" special characters by translating them to the form "=XX", the
equals sign
|followed by two hexadecimal digits.
|  For example, the ascii code for the ESC character is 1b (hex). So the
quoted
|printable form of ESC is "=1b". A space is encoded as "=20".
|  Quoted printable requires that lines be no longer than 76 characters.
To indicate a
|line has been arbitrarily split, an equals sign (=) is the last character
of a line.

|>8-bit
|>
|  Allows almost all 256 characters of an 8 bit (octet) character set.
Only CR (carriage
|return) and LF (line feed) are not allowed. 7bit allows only the first
128 octets like
|US-ASCII.
|
|>Do not perform character set translation
THIS ALSO REFERS TO THE MESSAGE I AM SENDING?
|  Translating between 8 bit character sets (like iso-8859-1 to us-ascii)
is fairly
|straightforward. Translating from iso-8859-1 to chinese would likely
produce garbage
|for chinese readers.
|  The setting really does not do much for western languages.
EVEN AS REGARDS FRENCH ACCENTS?

CONCLUSION: WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I USE? QP OR 8BIT OR NONE? DIFFERENT
SETTINGS ACCORDING TO THE LANGUAGE I USE FOR MY MESSAGE? ACCORDING TO THE
SYSTEM USD BU THE RECCEIVER?

===============
Can I bother you with more? After I send a message, get an answer, send it
again, the lines usually end up mangled and cut up. Is there a convenient
setting for Wrap to avoid this? The only one I have found so far is to
suppress wrap completely. But if I do this, the built-in editor does not
wrap, very inconvenient for writing...

And do you have a good source for all this info, which I cannot extract
from the program Help pages?

Many thanks
Maurice GUERON, BIOP/PMC, Ecole polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau, France
phone: (33/0) 169 334 174	fax: (33/0) 169 333 004
e-mail: mg@pmc.polytechnique.fr
In case of problems only, use : gueron@idf.ext.jussieu.fr