[pmmail-list] long-time question

Guillaume Gay pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:39:50 +0100 (CET)

Bonjour Maurice,

On 2003-12-13 at 10:00:46, you wrote:
>|  The setting really does not do much for western languages.
>EVEN AS REGARDS FRENCH ACCENTS?
No need to SHOUT, Maurice ! (Tu pousses le bouchon un peu loin... (;-))

>CONCLUSION: WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I USE? QP OR 8BIT OR NONE?
Just use :
* Default Character Set : ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1)
 [ Since ISO 8859-15 (Latin1) is *still* not supported by PMMail ]
* Encoding format : 8 bit
 [ Since it should be supported everywhere by now ]
That's all.

You'll still have problems with incoming messages with incorrect headers
anyway ("Content-Type" and "Content-Transfer-Encoding" fields missing,
accentuated letters or line breaks in subjects, etc.). Unfortunately, this
is not likely to change in PMMail, unless BluePrintSoft(a)wareWorks decide
to put money in it for its development.

You can nevertheless find workarounds for some of these annoying problems.
For example there are some REXX scripts that check every incoming messages
for a missing field. A brave soul here will sure be kind enough to give the
URL.
Be aware [ Copyright (c) Jean-Claude Van Damme - famous belgian humorist -
future president or the Belgian republic (shhh don't tell him there's
none), maybe? ] this will have an impact on the performances...

I wondered if someone here has made a comparative review on various
"cross-platform" mail clients (namely : PMMail, MR/2, Thunderbird, PolarBar
mailer, ...)?

>SETTINGS ACCORDING TO THE LANGUAGE I USE FOR MY MESSAGE? ACCORDING TO THE
>SYSTEM USD BU THE RECCEIVER?
Don't worry. The above settings just work. PMMail will produce RFC
compliant messages, even if it still can't properly read some incoming
messages (coming from OutLook or other infected-messages-generators).

Feel free to come and discuss it (in our mother tongue) on a "good old"
usenet forum : fr.comp.os.os2.

Salut Maurice.
Bye to all.

--
  * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o
 o                      To you and your family:                      *