[pmmail-list] long-time question

Maurice Guéron pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:43:08 +0100 (CET)

Merci Guillaume. C'est clair.
mg

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:39:50 +0100 (CET), Guillaume Gay wrote:

|Bonjour Maurice,
|
|On 2003-12-13 at 10:00:46, you wrote:
|>|  The setting really does not do much for western languages.
|>EVEN AS REGARDS FRENCH ACCENTS?
|No need to SHOUT, Maurice ! (Tu pousses le bouchon un peu loin... (;-))
|
|>CONCLUSION: WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I USE? QP OR 8BIT OR NONE?
|Just use :
|* Default Character Set : ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1)
| [ Since ISO 8859-15 (Latin1) is *still* not supported by PMMail ]
|* Encoding format : 8 bit
| [ Since it should be supported everywhere by now ]
|That's all.
|
|You'll still have problems with incoming messages with incorrect headers
|anyway ("Content-Type" and "Content-Transfer-Encoding" fields missing,
|accentuated letters or line breaks in subjects, etc.). Unfortunately,
this
|is not likely to change in PMMail, unless BluePrintSoft(a)wareWorks
decide
|to put money in it for its development.
|
|You can nevertheless find workarounds for some of these annoying
problems.
|For example there are some REXX scripts that check every incoming
messages
|for a missing field. A brave soul here will sure be kind enough to give
the
|URL.
|Be aware [ Copyright (c) Jean-Claude Van Damme - famous belgian humorist
-
|future president or the Belgian republic (shhh don't tell him there's
|none), maybe? ] this will have an impact on the performances...
|
|I wondered if someone here has made a comparative review on various
|"cross-platform" mail clients (namely : PMMail, MR/2, Thunderbird,
PolarBar
|mailer, ...)?
|
|>SETTINGS ACCORDING TO THE LANGUAGE I USE FOR MY MESSAGE? ACCORDING TO
THE
|>SYSTEM USD BU THE RECCEIVER?
|Don't worry. The above settings just work. PMMail will produce RFC
|compliant messages, even if it still can't properly read some incoming
|messages (coming from OutLook or other infected-messages-generators).
|
|Feel free to come and discuss it (in our mother tongue) on a "good old"
|usenet forum : fr.comp.os.os2.
|
|Salut Maurice.
|Bye to all.

|--
|  * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o
| o                      To you and your family:                      *
| *       Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.          o
|  o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o * o *
|   __     | |
|  /  |  * | |
| /  ______|_|_\_______/_ . g a y @ b i g f o o t . c o m
| \__/     | |                                               OS/2
Enhanced!
_
|- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------
|To POST to the list, send your message to:
|pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

|with the first line of the message body being...

Maurice GUERON, BIOP/PMC, Ecole polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau, France
phone: (33/0) 169 334 174	fax: (33/0) 169 333 004
e-mail: mg@pmc.polytechnique.fr
In case of problems only, use : gueron@idf.ext.jussieu.fr