[pmmail-list] long-time question

Maurice Guéron pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:39:22 +0100 (CET)

James, Thank you very much for the info. One point: I'm pretty sure that
one should NOT
disable charset translation.
mg

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:53:23 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:

|On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:00:46 +0100 (CET), Maurice Guéron wrote:
|

|>I'll put my comments in upper case.
|>On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:33:13 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:
|>|  The first two are ways the mail message are sent over the mail
|>transport.
|>THE MESSAGE THAT I AM SENDING?
|>
|  Any message at all but, yes, the message you send. The mail client mu=
st
perform any
|encoding selected.

|>|
|>THIS ALSO REFERS TO THE MESSAGE I AM SENDING?
|>
|  Both.
|
|>|  The setting really does not do much for western languages.
|>EVEN AS REGARDS FRENCH ACCENTS?
|>
|  I do not know.
|
|>CONCLUSION: WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I USE? QP OR 8BIT OR NONE? DIFFERENT
|>SETTINGS ACCORDING TO THE LANGUAGE I USE FOR MY MESSAGE? ACCORDING TO
THE
|>SYSTEM USD BU THE RECCEIVER?
|>
|  I do not have any experience here since almost all correspondence is =
in
us-ascii.
|  It depends on your audience. Try 8bit first. If you get complaints
about odd or
|unreadable messages, use quoted printable.
|
|>===============
|>Can I bother you with more? After I send a message, get an answer, sen=
it
|>again, the lines usually end up mangled and cut up. Is there a
convenient
|>setting for Wrap to avoid this? The only one I have found so far is to=

|>suppress wrap completely. But if I do this, the built-in editor does n=
ot
|>wrap, very inconvenient for writing...
|>
|  You can select an external editor. Go to Account->Account
Settings->Editor.
|  On the Account->Account Settings->Send page you can set the length of=

wrapped lines.
|IIRC the default is 76. Mine is set to 72 which allows for a couple a
replies.
|  Or select the WYSIWYG wrap which does no actual line wrapping when th=
message is
|sent. It leaves the formatting to the receiving end, not yours.
|
|>And do you have a good source for all this info, which I cannot extrac=
|>from the program Help pages?
|>
|  Alas, no. Email protocols are spread over a large number of RFCs and
are rich in
|tech-ese. There are several books that discuss developing email clients=

(Mail User
|Agents). The only one I have (Internet Email Protocols: A Developer's
Guide) is out of
|print and is for programmers. (I have just started reading it.)

Maurice GUERON, BIOP/PMC, Ecole polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau, France
phone: (33/0) 169 334 174	fax: (33/0) 169 333 004
e-mail: mg@pmc.polytechnique.fr
In case of problems only, use : gueron@idf.ext.jussieu.fr