[pmmail-list] long-time question

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:28:10 -0800

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:10:40 +0100, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>>I've used Quoted Printable for years without any problem
>
>You an american? Do you ever mail to anybody outside the US?
>
>It's my observation that most ppl in the US use qp or 7b-ascii,
>quite possibly screwing it up for most mailers sensitive for
>char-translation settings (like PMM).

I don't understand this statement.  7-Bit and quoted-printable are just
encodings: they are ways of sending 8-bit (or more) data over a 7-bit
transport.  They have nothing to do with character set, which is an
entirely different MIME header.

Now, the fact that I send my e-mails as USASCII shows a certain national
arrogance on my part, but I should be able to send arbitrary
iso-8859-whatever characters as quoted-printable and have them displayed
without problem on your end.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.