[pmmail-list] Combining Installations ?

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:47:18 -0800

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:26:50 -0500, Charles Sardeson wrote:

>Over the years, I've somewhat artlessly ended up with PMMail
>installed at least a couple of times on at least a couple of (NT 4.0)
> machines.  I assume that the filenames in the folders are
>constructed to be absolutely unique, so I'm hoping that if I combine
>several copies of the same folder (used to be something like "copy
>a.mbx + b.mbx + c.mbx = d.mbx" to concatenate all into one), and
>reindex, I can unite my dispersed mail into one, big set of folders
>accessed from one copy of the software.  Can anyone "promise" me that
>this will work?

You do have to be a little bit careful.

The file name PMMail generates is actually a number: it is the time the
message was pulled from the mail server, in number of seconds since
1/1/1970, expressed as a 6-digit number in base 36, with one additional
digit added to allow for multiple messages in the same second.  More than
you needed to know, yes?

Thus, if you were never running two machines at the exact same time, it is
very unlikely you will have any conflicts, but it isn't impossible.

Fortunately, PMMail doesn't care what the file name is, as long as it ends
in .MSG.  If you do find a conflict, just rename one of them by changing
the last digit, or assigning some completely different name.

I don't know where you got .mbx, however.  To my knowledge, PMMail has
never used .mbx files.
--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.