[pmmail-list] Help needed with PMMail ...

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:09:35 -0500 (EST)

I did something real stupid this morning :-(

I've been using PMMail since the 1.x days and Warp 3 and I always had the "Verification" prompt turned off for deleting of messages and
folders.  Never was a problem up until this morning when I accidently deleted a folder off the root of my mailbox containing a dozen or so
other folders and probably a few thousand messages.

And since my DELETE directory was pretty full already the OS didn't catch them.

After trying to use Phoenix2, which didn't work, what I ended up doing was running Chris Graham's HPFS-UD in FULL-SCAN mode.
It picked up on over 150,000 potential files which it stated could be salvaged.  Since I knew what the DOS-LEVEL name of the root folder of
the mailbox was I simply sorted by folder name and redirected the restore to a completely separate drive.

But here's the problem I have and I hope somebody can offer me some suggestions on how-to correct this.
How do I bring the salvaged PMMail folders back into my mailbox ?

Here's what I'm thinking:
There's a total of 20 folders that were salvaged.  So I'm going to create twenty new folders in my active email account and copy the contents
of each salvaged folder from a command prompt into each newly created folder.

Then I'll do a re-index and I'm figuring I'll have all my mail back.  I'll just need to sort it all out of what's good and what's bad and can be
deleted safely again.  The folder that I deleted was named originally differently.  Sometime back I ended up renaming it but don't remember
what it was.  And IIRC correctly doing a rename of a folder in PMMail only changes the pointer seen inside the application and not at the DOS
level.  Also, I'm pretty sure there's a ACCT.??? file that I shouldn't overwrite or delete.

Is this correct ?  Or is my middle-aged memory leading me astray ?
Most importantly, am I on the right track on how-to bring this email back into my current account ?

Any suggestions and clarification would be very much appreciated !

Gregory L. Marx
Warp 4 - fixpak 15
PMMail/2 version 2.20.2380