[pmmail-list] Feature request on ICSL Messages: Show account name

Norbert Schmidt pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 05:45:34 +0100

Hello Lüko,

>> Until this feature exists you can emulate it with a small script
>> (VBScript, JScript or Perl) by calling "WSCRIPT" in a "foreground
>> hook".
>   wich makes No. 3: enhance the external hook or add a new type of
>external hook where ISCL variables are passed as arguments.

not neccessarily. You can extract most of the information from the
passed mail file. Giving ISCL variables on the command line would spare
some lines in the script.

>> I don't know, how much work it would be to integrate "Windows
>Scripting
>> Host" features into PMMail. User hooks are nice but I would really
>like
>> to do some Scripting with a more direct interface to the internal
>works
>> of PMMail.
>
>   would need REXX scripting on OS/2.
>   Well, it would be enough to add the Windows version of the original
>OS/2 PMMsend.EXE, which is usable from a script and which adds the
>outgoing message into PMMail's outbox.
>   Besides that, all the message base, address books and so on have
>easily readable formats, so that it is easy to write an external program
>to work on them.

There's one thing I don't like about the user hooks: Whenever a hook is
called windows takes its own sweet time to start a fresh copy of the
interpreter (My choice: Perl).

Sure, reading folder bags and address books is rather easy, but I think
PMMail could get a bit confused if I try modifying them while it's
still running. Besides, these data formats may change with any new
version. I'd rather have an "official" interface where I may safely
mess with these data.

>   I have not yet felt the urge to script PMMail more than I can do it
>now. What are you missing?

Well, I like to sort my mail (received and sent) into folders depending
on sender or receipient. My filter list is quite crowded by now. And
with so many folders it's a pain in the a** to find the right folder in
the rather unsorted list when defining a filter. I'd rather write a
generic script that does the moving automagically (determins the
destination folder by the addresses used).

Or I would really like a more intelligent (scriptable) version of
"canned relpy".

Regards,
Norbert