[pmmail-list] bcc Information missing

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:37:59 +0000

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:15:16 -0800, J Seder wrote:

>Your message doesn't make sense.  "bcc" means "blind carbon copy":  the
>fact that the message was sent to the bcc userid is to be hidden from
>all other recipients.
>
>gmx and Notes should not reveal this information.
>
>The bcc information is retained in the headers of the copy of the
>message in your "Sent" folder, but it is stripped out by the SMTP
>server as the message goes on its way.

What the OP was trying to say is that if you mail A & B but bcc: C that
the mail sent to C does not contain a Bcc-to: header, just the normal
To: header. I think that's it anyway, so C gets a message addressed to
A & B without any indication of why C has received a copy.

This happens because the bcc: address is used in the smtp envelope but
not in the message headers, it is a courtesy to include it but not all
clients do. I'm not sure what the RFCs have to say, I suspect that
adding in a Bcc-To: header is a MAY rather than either a SHOULD or a
MUST.

--
Brian Morrison                                       bdm@fenrir.org.uk
              do you know how far this has gone?