[pmmail-list] A compromise: Was Re: Please, No More Discussion Of Html! [Was: Info About

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:40:13 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:16:12 US/Pacific, Chris Ayers wrote:

> We have people here who are fervently pro-HTML e-mail.

   I don't have too much fervor here, but I have problems to read the mailings
of some of my suppliers ... and not only because of HTML, but also because
PMMail has problems with "multipart/alternative".

   If the mail with HTML is properly prepared, it should come as a
multipart/alternative with two alternative parts, one part of type text/html,
the other of type text/plain. It should be user selectable which part he
prefers to be shown as default, just as PMMail/2000 (the Win version) has a
switch if outgoing messages should be HTML endoded. The text/html part should
contain all the images needed in a multipart/related structure -- and this
relationship is something that PMMail is not able to present properly (at
least on OS/2).

   Then we need a switch en- or disabling to use follow links to images and
other stuff, and this should be disabled by default, and the user warned of
enabling it.

   Javascript and other nasty features should not be supported.

   Coming back to my first paragraph -- I just told one of my suppliers who
sent out a multipage fax at least once a month to its resellers, to send these
announcements by email instead, and now I can't read it (well, that company
makes some errors in their mail, too; for those who can't read the HTML, they
attach what appeared as a multipage fax in one single GIF-file... and make
probably some errors in the MIME-structure. too.

   The problem is, HTML mails are there, I get them, and I can't fight city
hall to prohibit it.

Yours,
Lüko Willms