[pmmail-list] URLs in Pmm Pro for windows

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:38:34 -0500

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:55:00 -0800, John Bridges wrote:

>tinyurl is a terrible terrible solution!!!
>
>Why?
>
>They expire!  It takes internet rot up to another level. Now you are
>depending on one little company for all your archived mail's URLs.

If you care about archiving, then the original URL is probably best. In
most cases, people post links that they care about for a week or more.
I didn't know that tinyurl URLs expired. If that is a problem,
www.makeashorterlink.com says (last I looked) that theirs don't.

tinyurl isn't always the best solution, but I still say that for nearly
all cases, it is the best solution.

Actually I looked and it looks like what you posted is FUD. From
www.tinyurl.com:

>By entering in a URL in the text field below, we will create a tiny URL that will not break in email postings and never expires.

Granted, when tinyurl.com closes up shop, their urls will be left
hanging, but the way things have been going, their urls are probably as
stable as any url they point to.