[pmmail-list] URLs in Pmm Pro for windows

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:59:54 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:05:41 +1300, Richard Grevers wrote:

>>> http://this.should.be.a.very.long.url.com/index.html?aaaaaaaaaaq=
>1111111111&bbbbbbbbbb=2222222222
This URL was wrapped by your client

>But is it not better to present the long url in the RFC-compliant manner?

>that should work in all clients.
As was this, but why on earth do you think this "should work" (i.e. not be
wrapped)?  No where on earth does it say that something between angle
brackets is (a) a URL or (b) shouldn't be wrapped; neither does it say
anywhere that email clients should not wrap URLs

Note that the "solution" (a.k.a kludge) of starting the line
containing the URL with a ">" only works because PMMail happens
not to wrap "quoted" lines, and by using the ">" you are making
the line look like it was quoted!

I always wrap my own lines for email/usenet btw.

Since many people/email-clients now default to proportional fonts (i.e.
with metrics unknowable between the originator and receiver) and people
may or may not use CR LF as a "end of paragraph" (instead of "end of
line" as intended), it's not possible to have much control of the
apperance of emails at the other end any more. :-((

Email has just got shiterer and shiterer in the 6 or 7 years I've been
using it regularly :-((

Simon