[pmmail-list] Displaying HTML Messages

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:56:38 -0800

Some time ago, someone submitted a hint on how to configure PMMail to use
Internet Explorer as the "external editor" for read messages, so one could view
the dreaded HTML messages in a reasonable form.

I have since learned of an alternative.  Internet Explorer 5.x includes a
program called "mshta.exe" that is basically a very thin wrapper around the IE
browser control.  It is designed for rendering HTA files (Hypertext
Applications), but it can render everything IE can.  Further, it skips all the
menus and icons and toolbars and coolbars and rings and things and buttons and
bows, so unlike IE it starts up very quickly.  It does support the right-click
interface, so you can still print the pages.

I changed the Editor in Account -> Properties -> Editor to "c:\winnt\system32
\mshta.exe", and I'm quite happy with the results.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.