[pmmail-list] Displaying HTML Messages

Wayne Dunham pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:10:58 -0500

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:56:38 -0800, Tim Roberts wrote:

>Some time ago, someone submitted a hint on how to configure PMMail to use
>Internet Explorer as the "external editor" for read messages, so one could view
>the dreaded HTML messages in a reasonable form.
>
>I have since learned of an alternative.  Internet Explorer 5.x includes a
>program called "mshta.exe" that is basically a very thin wrapper around the IE
>browser control.  It is designed for rendering HTA files (Hypertext
>Applications), but it can render everything IE can.  Further, it skips all the
>menus and icons and toolbars and coolbars and rings and things and buttons and
>bows, so unlike IE it starts up very quickly.  It does support the right-click
>interface, so you can still print the pages.
>
>I changed the Editor in Account -> Properties -> Editor to "c:\winnt\system32
>\mshta.exe", and I'm quite happy with the results.

  Works in Win98Se also.  Looks like a great alternative.  Hey, I'll
actually be able to FIND the links in a message.  In PmMails internal
viewer (Windows) the clickable links are sometimes nowhere near the
highlighted text in the message.

  Just don't forget that if your pathname that PmMail resides in has
spaces in it to put quotes around that pathname, i.e. "E:\program
files\PMMail\%s", in the arguments line.  Strange, I had Notepad as my
external editor before and it didn't need the quotes, but that program
(and probably other externals) does/did.

     Wayne Dunham
     waynedunham@email.com