[pmmail-list] URLs in Pmm Pro for windows

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:03:06 -0500

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:16:41 +0100 (MEZ), L.Willms wrote:

>   For this I would have to call one of these shortener services, select the
>form for entering my long URL, enter the long URL, wait for the completion,
>copy the resulting shorthand, copy it into my email.
>
>   How much easier it is to simply insert a ">" in front of the line?

I don't really want to get into any arguments about tinyurl, I just
want people to be familiar with the service, which I find to be
extremely useful.

But your comparison isn't really fair.

Using TinyUrl:

1. Click TinyUrl link button in browser
2. Paste into message

Not using TinyUrl:

1. Copy URL from Address line in browser
2. Paste into message
3. Insert a ">" in front of the line.

I think that ease of use from the senders point slightly favors
Tinyurl, but that the difference is meaningless.

If you care about long term accuracy of the link, using TinyUrl will
never be as good as the original URL.