[pmmail-list] Please, I need advice. 2nd request (was Folders changed nests)

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:01:14 +0100 (MEZ)

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 08:04:43 -0600, Hazen Woods wrote:

>  When I rebooted and reindexed some of the
> folders had changed from one nest to another.  By this I mean that
> before the crash, I had, for example, at the root level, folders A, B,
> C and D.

> In folder A were 1, 2, 3, and 4.
> In folder B were 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Are these folders and subfolders?

> After the crash,
> In folder A were 1, B, C , and 4
> In folder B were 5, 6, 7, and 8

  Using the Windows version of PMMail, I understand that you can simply drag
and drop the folders within PMMail.

> More than 25 folders which were in perhaps 6 root level folders are now
> all under one root folder which happens to have been about in the
> middle of the one single root level folder, which still had its
> children properly nested within it.
>
> I'm curious as to what caused this,

   I understand that the SYSTEM crashed on your PC, so that you had to reboot.
Right? So the system crash might have been the root cause of this situation.

> but of greatest importance - how
> can I restore the proper levels and nests.  There are literally
> thousands of messages involved.

  The PMMail folder structure is mapped on a tree of subdirectories under your
PMMail program directory. In the directory where your PMMailW.EXE resides, you
will have one or more subdirectories with the extension ".ACT" for each
account, and within these account directories, you have the folders, each with
the extension ".FLD". When you have subfolders within a folder, the parent
folder will have subdirectories with the extension ".FLD".

  According to what you write, it seems to me that this directory structure
has been mixed up. You might just want to check this directory structure with
Windows Explorer or some better means and rearrange it.

  Now, beware that PMMail has a way of its own to recognize its folders: in
each directory with the extension ".FLD" you will find three files with the
base name "FOLDER" and extensions ".INI", ".BAG" and ".UCT".

  The "FOLDER.INI" is changed when you edit the properties of a folder within
PMMail. It is one single line with several parameters separated by a Hex 'DE',
and of which the first contains the title of the folder, which you see in the
folder tree panel (left column of the PMMail main window), and the second a
number, by which PMMail identifies this folder. This number is referenced e.g.
in the PMMail filters.

  The single digit numbers identifiy the standard folders like Inbox, Outbox,
Sent, Draft, and Trash, the others the user defined folders.

  So be careful -- it could be that one or more of those FOLDER.INI has
changed directory and gives the directory a new PMMail folder identity.

  I'm afraid that I don't know of any automated way to rearrange your folders;
I guess you will have to do it by hand.

  Well, actually, to reapeat what I wrote the beginning: using the Windows
version of PMMail, I understand that you can simply drag and drop the folders
within PMMail.

Yours,
Lüko Willms