[pmmail-list] Backup Strategy [OT]

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:25:41 +1300

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:12:58 -0800 (PST), Steve Wendt wrote:

>I'm not sure Zip and Jaz belong in the "reliable" category.  MO and CDR
>may not be quite so "long-term" if you believe the circulated stories.

Having had a Zip drive replaced I'd agree. I'd also count them out as
being incredibly slow with lots of small files (such as mailboxes or
messages).
For the strategy outlined, "long term" isn't that much of an issue, since
80% of the media will be wiped and rewritten weekly. You have to look at
how many times a CD-RW can be re-used before it becmes unreliable, but
the cost of rewriteables is fast heading towards "negligible".
In fact is there *any* storage medium for electronic data which has truly
been established as "long term"?

--
Bureaucrats cut red tape - lengthwise