[pmmail-list] Backup Strategy [OT]

Rod.. Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:55:45 +1100

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:25:41 +1300, Richard Grevers wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:12:58 -0800 (PST), Steve Wendt wrote:
>>I'm not sure Zip and Jaz belong in the "reliable" category.  MO and CDR
>>may not be quite so "long-term" if you believe the circulated stories.

I'll take an MO if you mean one of the ones for Fujitsu DynaMO drives.
Try this test with any other medium:

1-Drop from 1 meter above floor onto concrete floor
2-Soak in Coca-Cola for 24 hours
3-Pass through degausser
4-Wash in domestic dishwasher on normal cycle
5-Replace case if warped by heat of 4 ^^^^^^
6-Run data integrity test on all contents.

Don't try to use the CD if it warps!

>Having had a Zip drive replaced I'd agree. I'd also count them out as
>being incredibly slow with lots of small files (such as mailboxes or
>messages).
>For the strategy outlined, "long term" isn't that much of an issue, since
>80% of the media will be wiped and rewritten weekly. You have to look at
>how many times a CD-RW can be re-used before it becmes unreliable, but
>the cost of rewriteables is fast heading towards "negligible".
>In fact is there *any* storage medium for electronic data which has truly
>been established as "long term"?

I've seen 1000 cycles as the reliable limit for CD-RW.
My customers who use them say they don't last much more than a year
when used in a disk per day weekly rotation, 5 day rotation.

Counting the erase cycle as one use that's about a hundred write cycles
per annum.

Brand name media, several brands tried.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.