[pmmail-list] [mkc] Putting PMMail's data on a network drive

Manfred Usselmann pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:44:38 +0200

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:21:19 -0400
"Mike Kilroy" <mike@KilroyWasHere.com> wrote:

> I think I will try this.  I saw slow performance even after installing
> Pmmail on my local machine, running it, and pointing to my mail
> folders on the 'server.' with the 'start in' field of the icon.
>
> I've a couple questions:
> - Was my slowness because I did not change HKEY_.. in the registry?
>
> - Are you saying that if I do this it will be the same speed as
> locally?  (not counting a little slowness thrown in for the 100mhz
> network connection)

The reason for PMMail being slow if you put the folders on a network
drive is AFAIK that then PMMail uses the network path also for temporary
files.

There was a discussion about this a while ago and the suggested solution
was to patch pmmailw.exe to use a local temp path (e.g. by replacing
'.\TEMP' by 'C:\TMP'). Be careful! Must be same length. Don't change
anything else. Make a backup first.

It did work well for me.