[pmmail-list] [mkc] Putting PMMail's data on a network drive

Chris pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:38:10 +0200

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_5939864=_=_=_

I installed the program on the server and clients. The data is not occupied if I start PMM on an other computer. Because I never tried. When I move to an
other location I stop the program where I leave. Theoretacaly its not necesary because all mails are defiierent files. Only when you leave one open to do
something,I don't know what yet and go to another machine and want to do the same. When you have new mail on one you must start at new on the
second to read the new ones i think iam not sure yet.

Chris Colijn

--Original Message Text---
From: Mike Kilroy
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:21:19 -0400

I think I will try this. I saw slow performance even after installing Pmmail on my local machine, running it, and pointing to my
mail folders on the 'server.' with the 'start in' field of the icon.

I've a couple questions:
- Was my slowness because I did not change HKEY_.. in the registry?

- Are you saying that if I do this it will be the same speed as locally? (not counting a little slowness thrown in for the 100mhz
network connection)

- Will I be able to go back to the server and see my mail afterwards? (now, if I access Pmmail as stated above, it stops the
mail viewer from working locally, and it doesn't update the subject file listings with the changes I made over the network - I
have to kill Pmmail and start it over again to get access again)

Thanks!

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:16:52 -0400, Stephen Eickhoff wrote:

>It occurred to me that people complaining about PMMail's poor network
>performance might be trying to run the program itself from a network drive.
>It's possible to place only the message store, address book, and dictionary on
>a network drive for better performance.
>

>There's a string value called
>ShellDirectory under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blueprint Software
>Works\PMMail.
>This points to your PMMail 2000 folder. Now keep in mind, this is the actual
>"PMMail 2000" folder location.
>To move your address books and dictionary over, you'll need to copy the Tools
>folder as well and plop
>it in the same folder you put "PMMail 2000". So if you want to stash your
>mail in "H:\Mail", the key value
>would be "H:\Mail\PMMail 2000", and you would create a folder called "Mail".
>Then in that Mail folder,
>place:
>
>- The "Tools" folder
>- A "PMMail 2000" folder containing PMMailW.INI and your account folders
>
>Once you've done that, do as mentioned in the PMMail FAQ and change the Start
>In: field for the PMMail icon to wherever you have placed the PMMail 2000
>folder. In my example above, this would be "H:\Mail\PMMail 2000".
>
>If you are creating a drive image, set this key in HKEY_USERS\.default instead
>and it will apply to all users when they first log on.
>
>Potential problems:
>-If you use an external editor, make sure Arguments has the path to your
>network PMMail folder as well, or it won't be able to find the PMMail
>2000\Temp\temp.bod.
>-If you upgrade PMMail, make sure it installs in the correct Program directory.
>It will try to install itself on your network drive. After installing, you will
>need to go back and correct the registry entry listed above.
>-If you use shortcut hotkeys, set the hotkey on the Start Menu icon, then copy
>it to the desktop. This will ensure that the hotkey won't try to open the
>"wrong" icon with the wrong path. Windows is retarded and seems to open the
>Start menu icon even if it's the desktop or Quick Launch icon to which you've
>set the hotkey.

Mike, AC8V

              \\|//
           (  o . o  )
-----o00o------(_)------o00o-----

Om mijn ADSL zo goed mogelijk te benutten gebruik ik MSN 6.0 (cccolijn@hotmail.com)  Ook YahooMessegner (screenname colijnc). De link om yahoomessegner te halen <http://messenger.yahoo.com/>. Link om Yahoo id aan te maken <http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register?.intl=us&new=1&.src=pg&.done=http://messenger.yahoo.com> de mogelijkheid tot praten, zij het om de beurt praten niet full duplex dus.of AOL (ChrisColijn) of ICQ (even zoeken op naam) .

Mijn onetel-emailadres bestaat vanaf 030603 niet meer!!!!!

Oude schoolvrienden vinden? www.schoolbank.nl
Wilt U bevestiging van ontvangst van U email, email dan naar c.colijn@tiscali.nl

Mijn imode email : cco@imail.nl

www.infobel.com telefoonboek voor de hele wereld.

Jelle in memoriam 18-06-1997 - 18-06-2002 <http://www.colijn.111.nl/page5.html>

Harry Potter 5 in pdf-formaat op Kazaa of <http://briefcase.yahoo.com/colijnc> vraag even om het passwoord?

Wat foto's (Some pictures) : http://groups.msn.com/ColijnsFotosenMededelingen

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_5939864=_=_=_

<HTML>

<FONT FACE="MS Shell Dlg" DEFAULT="FACE"><FONT SIZE="1" POINTSIZE="8" DEFAULT="SIZE">I installed the program on the server and clients. The data is not occupied if I start PMM on an other computer. Because I never tried. When I move to an other location I stop the program where I leave. Theoretacaly its not necesary because all mails are defiierent files. Only when you leave one open to do something,I don't know what yet and go to another machine and want to do the same. When you have new mail on one you must start at new on the second to read the new ones i think iam not sure yet.<BR>

<BR>

Chris Colijn<BR>

<BR>

--Original Message Text---<BR>

<B>From:</B> Mike Kilroy<BR>

<B>Date:</B> Sun, 20 Jul 2003 08:21:19 -0400<BR>

<BR>

<FONT SIZE="2" POINTSIZE="10">I think I will try this. I saw slow performance even after installing Pmmail on my local machine, running it, and pointing to my mail folders on the 'server.' with the 'start in' field of the icon. <BR>

<BR>

I've a couple questions:<BR>

- Was my slowness because I did not change HKEY_.. in the registry? <BR>

<BR>

- Are you saying that if I do this it will be the same speed as locally? (not counting a little slowness thrown in for the 100mhz network connection)<BR>

<BR>

- Will I be able to go back to the server and see my mail afterwards? (now, if I access Pmmail as stated above, it stops the mail viewer from working locally, and it doesn't update the subject file listings with the changes I made over the network - I have to kill Pmmail and start it over again to get access again)<BR>

<BR>

Thanks!<BR>

<BR>

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:16:52 -0400, Stephen Eickhoff wrote:<BR>

<BR>

&gt;It occurred to me that people complaining about PMMail's poor network<BR>

&gt;performance might be trying to run the program itself from a network drive.<BR>

&gt;It's possible to place only the message store, address book, and dictionary on<BR>

&gt;a network drive for better performance.<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;There's a string value called<BR>

&gt;ShellDirectory under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blueprint Software<BR>

&gt;Works\PMMail.<BR>

&gt;This points to your PMMail 2000 folder. Now keep in mind, this is the actual<BR>

&gt;"PMMail 2000" folder location.<BR>

&gt;To move your address books and dictionary over, you'll need to copy the Tools<BR>

&gt;folder as well and plop<BR>

&gt;it in the same folder you put "PMMail 2000". So if you want to stash your<BR>

&gt;mail in "H:\Mail", the key value<BR>

&gt;would be "H:\Mail\PMMail 2000", and you would create a folder called "Mail".<BR>

&gt;Then in that Mail folder,<BR>

&gt;place:<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;- The "Tools" folder<BR>

&gt;- A "PMMail 2000" folder containing PMMailW.INI and your account folders<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;Once you've done that, do as mentioned in the PMMail FAQ and change the Start<BR>

&gt;In: field for the PMMail icon to wherever you have placed the PMMail 2000<BR>

&gt;folder. In my example above, this would be "H:\Mail\PMMail 2000".<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;If you are creating a drive image, set this key in HKEY_USERS\.default instead<BR>

&gt;and it will apply to all users when they first log on.<BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;Potential problems: <BR>

&gt;-If you use an external editor, make sure Arguments has the path to your<BR>

&gt;network PMMail folder as well, or it won't be able to find the PMMail<BR>

&gt;2000\Temp\temp.bod.<BR>

&gt;-If you upgrade PMMail, make sure it installs in the correct Program directory.<BR>

&gt;It will try to install itself on your network drive. After installing, you will<BR>

&gt;need to go back and correct the registry entry listed above.<BR>

&gt;-If you use shortcut hotkeys, set the hotkey on the Start Menu icon, then copy<BR>

&gt;it to the desktop. This will ensure that the hotkey won't try to open the<BR>

&gt;"wrong" icon with the wrong path. Windows is retarded and seems to open the<BR>

&gt;Start menu icon even if it's the desktop or Quick Launch icon to which you've<BR>

&gt;set the hotkey.<BR>

&gt;----------------------------------<BR>

&gt; Stephen Eickhoff<BR>

&gt; <FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>operagost@email.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;----------------------------------<BR>

&gt;- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------<BR>

&gt;To POST to the list, send your message to:<BR>

&gt;<FONT COLOR=0000ff><U>pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com<FONT COLOR=000000 DEFAULT="COLOR"></U><BR>

&gt;<BR>

&gt;with the first line of the message body being...<BR>

&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

&gt;<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

Mike, AC8V<BR>

<BR>

              \\|//<BR>

           (  o . o  )<BR>

-----o00o------(_)------o00o-----<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

                        <BR>

<BR>

</HTML>

<HTML>
<LEFT>
<FONT FACE="MS Shell Dlg" COLOR="#000001" SIZE="1" POINTSIZE="8" DEFAULT="ALL">
Om&nbsp;mijn&nbsp;ADSL&nbsp;zo&nbsp;goed&nbsp;mogelijk&nbsp;te&nbsp;benutten&nbsp;gebruik&nbsp;ik&nbsp;MSN&nbsp;6.0&nbsp;(cccolijn@hotmail.com)&nbsp;&nbsp;Ook&nbsp;YahooMessegner&nbsp;(screenname&nbsp;colijnc).&nbsp;De&nbsp;link&nbsp;om&nbsp;yahoomessegner&nbsp;te&nbsp;halen&nbsp;&lt;http://messenger.yahoo.com/&gt;.&nbsp;Link&nbsp;om&nbsp;Yahoo&nbsp;id&nbsp;aan&nbsp;te&nbsp;maken&nbsp;&lt;http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register?.intl=us&new=1&.src=pg&.done=http://messenger.yahoo.com&gt;&nbsp;de&nbsp;mogelijkheid&nbsp;tot&nbsp;praten,&nbsp;zij&nbsp;het&nbsp;om&nbsp;de&nbsp;beurt&nbsp;praten&nbsp;niet&nbsp;full&nbsp;duplex&nbsp;dus.of&nbsp;AOL&nbsp;(ChrisColijn)&nbsp;of&nbsp;ICQ&nbsp;(even&nbsp;zoeken&nbsp;op&nbsp;naam)&nbsp;.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Mijn&nbsp;onetel-emailadres&nbsp;bestaat&nbsp;vanaf&nbsp;030603&nbsp;niet&nbsp;meer!!!!!&nbsp;<br>
Oude&nbsp;schoolvrienden&nbsp;vinden?&nbsp;www.schoolbank.nl&nbsp;<br>
Wilt&nbsp;U&nbsp;bevestiging&nbsp;van&nbsp;ontvangst&nbsp;van&nbsp;U&nbsp;email,&nbsp;email&nbsp;dan&nbsp;naar&nbsp;c.colijn@tiscali.nl<br>
Mijn&nbsp;imode&nbsp;email&nbsp;:&nbsp;cco@imail.nl<br>
www.infobel.com&nbsp;telefoonboek&nbsp;voor&nbsp;de&nbsp;hele&nbsp;wereld.<br>
Jelle&nbsp;in&nbsp;memoriam&nbsp;18-06-1997&nbsp;-&nbsp;18-06-2002&nbsp;&lt;http://www.colijn.111.nl/page5.html&gt;&nbsp;<br>
Harry&nbsp;Potter&nbsp;5&nbsp;in&nbsp;pdf-formaat&nbsp;op&nbsp;Kazaa&nbsp;of&nbsp;&lt;http://briefcase.yahoo.com/colijnc&gt;&nbsp;vraag&nbsp;even&nbsp;om&nbsp;het&nbsp;passwoord?<br>
Wat&nbsp;foto's&nbsp;(Some&nbsp;pictures)&nbsp;:&nbsp;http://groups.msn.com/ColijnsFotosenMededelingen<br>
</HTML>

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_5939864=_=_=_--