[pmmail-list] bcc Information missing

Hahn Gerhard pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 18:28:43 +0100

to the contributors..

>What the OP was trying to say is that if you mail A & B but bcc: C that
>the mail sent to C does not contain a Bcc-to: header, just the normal
>To: header. I think that's it anyway, so C gets a message addressed to
>A & B without any indication of why C has received a copy.
>
>This happens because the bcc: address is used in the smtp envelope but
>not in the message headers, it is a courtesy to include it but not all
>clients do. I'm not sure what the RFCs have to say, I suspect that
>adding in a Bcc-To: header is a MAY rather than either a SHOULD or a
>MUST.
>Brian Morrison

Brian met it exactly what I wanted to ask

Thx to Paul for further clearification:
>RFC2822 (the latest authority on its use that I can find) describes
>three main ways of using BCC (section 3.6.3) and states that the
>choice is implementation dependent.  In section 5, security
>implications of BCC usage are discussed.

Rod's way seems to go to far:
>This is why I have setup my smtpd to add a header line:-
>I find this handy for filtering.

The informations from John
>Or are you saying there is no "Bcc:" line?
and Richard
>Now that I am aware that some clients display all BCC addresses (in my opinion
>erroneously) I shall be more careful how I use it in future
are leading to the wrong way, wrong information.

The mentioned MUAs only shows the 'bcc'-line for the 'bcc' that receives the email as 'bcc'.
So the 'bcc'-receiver can only identify that there was a message 'from' -> 'to', but cannot identify how much
'bccs' are  addressed.
And the 'from' and the 'to' only see each other in the header information.

*But* this all ends up in the need for the information, if it's the MUA's oder the MTA's duty to handle this case??

So, do I need to invite Jimmy to this case, or should I try to explain this case to my provider??
Although the ISP tried to deny to my first request. ;-))  so I posted this case to you all in hope for help.

baba

gerhard