[pmmail-list] BCC was Digest (03/01/2003 09:01) (#2003-461)

John Angelico pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:30:48 +1100 (EDT)

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:01:50 -0500, brandonk@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
wrote:

OK, a slightly [OT] reply here.

>>Logically since "Bcc:"means "BLIND courtesy copy" noone should be able to
>>see to whom it has been sent in the BCC list.
>>
>I think that you will find a majority of people to believe that BCC="Blind CARBON
>Copy". (A quick phrase search on google scores 23,500 for this vs only 622 hits
>for the Courtesy variant).

How many of those people would even know what carbon refers to in this
context? Carbon copies and multiple sets of typing in a typewriter ceased
with the widescale adoption of cheap office photocopiers, and have never
had any relevance to the electronic era.

The abbrev "cc" was conveniently converted to "courtesy copy" <g> and
office life continued smoothly on.

So popularity does not necessarily equal truth.

In another context altogether for example, it is popularly believed that
Britain and Australia are democracies but both are in fact constitutional
monarchies.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG