[pmmail-list] BCC was Digest (03/01/2003 09:01) (#2003-461)

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:13:36 +1300

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:30:48 +1100 (EDT), John Angelico wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:01:50 -0500, brandonk@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
>wrote:
>
>OK, a slightly [OT] reply here.
>
>>>Logically since "Bcc:"means "BLIND courtesy copy" noone should be able to
>>>see to whom it has been sent in the BCC list.
>>>
>>I think that you will find a majority of people to believe that BCC="Blind
CARBON
>>Copy". (A quick phrase search on google scores 23,500 for this vs only 622 hits
>>for the Courtesy variant).
>
>How many of those people would even know what carbon refers to in this
>context? Carbon copies and multiple sets of typing in a typewriter ceased
>with the widescale adoption of cheap office photocopiers, and have never
>had any relevance to the electronic era.
>
>The abbrev "cc" was conveniently converted to "courtesy copy" <g> and
>office life continued smoothly on.
>
>So popularity does not necessarily equal truth.

What is significant that following a sampling of pages about the BCC field (most
turned out to be FAQ/email tutorials by ISP's etc. the majority informed users
that multiple addresses in a BCC field would be blind to each other. I saw the
same thing in print last night.
So unless this is covered by some RFC, we need to take expected behaviour as the
norm, and hence any client which reveals ALL Bcc recipients is breaching common
expectations. If PMMail currently shows none, that is the best solution in the
meantime.

--
Back up my hard disk? I can't find the reverse switch!