[pmmail-list] Possible Bug in Filter Management

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:18:49 -0500

I've got lots of filters that have worked fine for years,
but have stumbled on a strange problem that must be a bug.

Most of my filters just move incoming email into
appropriate folders ... such as one for PMMail where things
from this list go.

That worked fine for years, but recently after moving all
my old folders from an old email account to a new email
account when I got cable (and rebuilding the filters in the
new email account), the PMMail filter strangely started
sending it's stuff to a different folder.  On
investigation, the reason was that the target folder had
been apparently changed when I reconstructed the folders in
the new email account.

Confident that I'd just misselected the target folder, I
changed it in the filter to the right folder and closed the
filter edit dialog.

That did not solve the problem, because the changes were
not being saved (or the target folder was continually
resetting to the wrong folder???).

Nothing I did would actually save the new target folder
name in that particular filter, though other filters could
correctly save their target folders when I changed them.

I even renamed the PMMail folder to "pmmail" and then to
"emailstuff" and tried to change the target folder to point
to them.  Neither of those would save the target folder
name after editing and the filter always reverted to the
same wrong folder as before.

Finally, I got it to work, by completely deleting the
offending folder and filter and rebuilding them from
scratch ... this time named pmmail.

It seems to work ok, now, so I'm fine, but thought
blueprint might want to know about the possible bug.

SteveB