[pmmail-list] Possible Bug in Filter Management

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 17:54:46 +0100 (MEZ)

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 11:09:44 -0500, Steve Barber wrote:

> >   My first guess is that those numbers are no longer unique after
you
> >had built some new folders in the new account, and moved other
accounts
> >over there from the old account, just by moving the directories.
> >

> Thanks, that's probably it ... because I did simply move
> old account folders to the new email account  ... and
> create a few new folders in the new account, too.

   Now this depends on how you proceed, I guess.

   If you move the folder by drag'n'drop from within PMMail (I noted,
you are using the Windows version, where this is possible) or from the
OS level, using e.g. Windows Explorer; if PMMail is running in the
latter case or not.

>      Still,
> sounds like a bug ... a rare one, of course ... but
> shouldn't PMMail check for unique folder reference numbers
> when creating them and never allow moves or new folder
> creates to end up with duplicate reference numbers?

  It should be safe, I think, to move directories with Windows Explorer
IF PMMail is not running while doing it (i.e. giving PMMail the chance
to read in the folder ID numbers) and doing this BEFORE creating new
folders in the account. Otherwise, PMMail will give numbers in its
normal sequence, and then you come with the same numbers from a
different account...

Yours,
Lüko Willms