[pmmail-list] Installer fails on Win2K

Paul Hodges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:45:58 +0000

I have one machine on which PMMail wouldn't install, so I installed
it on another machine and copied the directory tree.  I had also to
copy a couple of DLLs in the Windows directory (which were
conveniently named by the error messages).

The issue of old installers not always working is not limited to
PMMail, BTW.  I can point you at other programs that won't install on
two-processor machines, for instance, or an old version of
Installshield that when run on a large Windows Server takes several
hours to bring up the first screen (but then does in the end!).

> That's a really funny message. There are more than 10GB free on the
> target drive. I can't believe that PMMail needs so much space in the
> latest version ;-)

There is an old Windows API for disk space that only handles 2GB -
anything above is returned modulo 2GB.  Presumably the old installer
is using this.  Create a temporary 1GB file, and it should work!

If you look back in this list, you will see that there is intended to
be a complete rewrite of PMMail to sort its problems, and that will
use a new installer as well.  As the rewrite is being done in the
programmer's (Peter Nielsen's) own time, this will not appear any
time soon.  Peter's credentials as the author of PMView give
confidence that the eventual result will be worth it.

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd