[pmmail-list] One last try: Run-together lines.

Marc Lewis pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
20 Mar 2003 23:54:58 -0600

Hello All.

<On 20Mar2003 14:42 Wendell Brown wrote a message regarding
[pmmail-list] One last try: Run-together lines. >

 ML> The last Windows beta I downloaded a few months back had a
 ML> serious problem with removing all line breaks in outbound
 ML> messages. (When using an external editor.)  Email to tech

 WB> I'm using 2.20.2661 and while I use the internal editor
 WB> primarily, I can switch to the external editor with ALT-X
 WB> (which I just did). If I hit enter where I want the line to
 WB> wrap in the editor, it doesn't seem to get stripped out and
 WB> seems to work fine.  What editor were you trying to use?

The same one I've been using for years for numerous programs,
EZQuote.

 WB> Are you sure it is inserting CR/LF where you think it is?

Quite.  It is set to wrap at 70 characters.

 WB> -/- This paragraph was edited in an external editor and was
 WB> 5 lines long - this line starts with the word editor.

My re-wrap during edit in this message reader would invalidate
your start point.

 WB> I use Multi-Edit as my external editor primarily so I can
 WB> use it "fix" lines that were wrapped weird by other e-mail
 WB> clients. Pmmail works exactly like I would expect it to -
 WB> it auto wraps long lines (with Reflow At Send turned on)
 WB> and doesn't mess with the lines I manually wrap in the
 WB> external editor.

The problem I ran into is that even hard returns (CR/LF) were
completely stripped out.  Even paragraph breaks disappeared, no
matter what PMMailW was set to do.  E.G., this entire reply
would have become one solid paragraph with 2661. As soon as I
stepped back to the previous build the problem disappeared. The
problem never existed in the OS/2 version, which uses the very
same external editor in a full screen VDM, just like the windows
version does.

It may behoove me to simply wait until the development team
releases the recompiled version from the new source code...  If
an when...  :)

Best regards,
Marc

-=- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+