[pmmail-list] Missing Message-ID

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:53:48 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:34:29 +0000 (GMT), Simon Bowring wrote:

> IIRC, PMMail does not and never has generated message-ids.
> (Look at some messages in your "Sent Mail" folder, and view
> all headers - no message-ids).
>
> IMO it should generate them, not least because this would allow
> messages to be threaded (like in a newsreader), but I don't
> think it's a *requirement* of the client (but I could be wrong).

   The latest and current version of RFC2822 specifies:

---- cut ------------
   Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field.
   Furthermore, reply messages SHOULD have "In-Reply-To:" and
   "References:" fields as appropriate, as described below.
---------- cut off ---

   I would also like my eMail client to generate message-IDs, but one
has to take into account that this will probably put the additional
burden on the end user to configure this correctly so that the message
ID is really unique within the domain which the end user is using.

   Alternatively, the eMail client could use the address as the main
qualifier for the message ID, e.g. in the form of
<some-unique-number-and-letter-sequence>.technik@willms-edv.de, just to
use my case.

Yours,
Lüko Willms