[pmmail-list] Missing Message-ID

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:34:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 20 Mar 03 21:44:06 -0800, Fred J. Tydeman wrote:

>Some recent email of mine to a friend was bounced.
>My friend says it is because my email is missing
>the Message-ID field in the message header.

Message-Ids and PMMail have been discussed here before, but I
cannot recall all the details! I don't remember anyone
oomplaining about bounced messages in this context though.

IIRC, PMMail does not and never has generated message-ids.
(Look at some messages in your "Sent Mail" folder, and view
all headers - no message-ids).

IMO it should generate them, not least because this would allow
messages to be threaded (like in a newsreader), but I don't
think it's a *requirement* of the client (but I could be wrong).

Generally I think mail servers will and do insert a message-id if
one is missing.  If I send an email to myself, sure enough my
local mail server has inserted a Message ID (that is not present
in the copy in the "Sent Mail" folder);

I have no idea why a server or client etc would be set up
bounce an email that didn't contain a message-id either!
You should ask who/what requires the message-id and why
they're bouncing messages that don't have one! Seems a bit
pointless to me (but they *may* have a good reason!).

Also, are you confindent your friend is right in saying
that the missing message id is the reason it was bounced?
Generally a bounced message comes with information telling
you why it was bounced (user unknown, mailbox full etc etc).

You probably should upgrade btw!

HTH
Simon