[pmmail-list] Spam filtering - popfile et al

Dave Saville pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:35:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:02:02 -0500, Andrew Pitonyak wrote:

>in the last two days I received 124 SPAM messages. Four of the messages were not marked as SPAM. Of these four, two were very simple and plain. The other two messages had a "s p a c e"
>after each letter so there were no words against which to filter.

I have thought of a way around that. Because PMMail, unlike PMINews,
can not ignore RE: (and similar) in a subject line when sorting I run
a  rexx script on incoming that strips of those from the subject
line. In passing it could easily add an X-stripped-subject or similar
that had some processing done on the subject line - Say change all
special chars to a space and then, as English at least only has "I"
and  "a" as valid single letter words a bit of intelligent
compression. The result would be a header line that had recognisable
words for the later filters to latch onto.

--
Regards

Dave Saville