[pmmail-list] how can I avoid virus'es in the future?

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 05 May 2003 23:33:25 +1200

On Mon, 5 May 2003 21:07:18 +1000, Günter Minnerup <g.minnerup@unsw.edu.au>
wrote:

>> He asked, I responded. AFAIK, the guy said he used Pmm as the
>> mailer. Pmm *is* able to transmit virii. What text-based mailer are
>> you referring to?
>
> How can PMM transmit virii (whatever they are: the correct pedantic
> plural is viri)? PMM send pure ASCII text, which cannot contain
> executables.

By your attaching an infected file! And although it wouldn't affect PMMail
itself, PMMail is capable of forwarding an email containing a vbscript that
could wreak havoc on an unprotected Outlook Express system.

I use AVG pro. It's email protection doesn't fire off a warning as soon as
a mail with an infected attachment is received, but it does warn every time
I click on that message (i.e. at the preview state).