[pmmail-list] how can I avoid virus'es in the future?

Günter Minnerup pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 21:07:18 +1000

> He asked, I responded. AFAIK, the guy said he used Pmm as the
> mailer. Pmm *is* able to transmit virii. What text-based mailer are
> you referring to?

How can PMM transmit virii (whatever they are: the correct pedantic
plural is viri)? PMM send pure ASCII text, which cannot contain
executables.

> If I were you, I wouldn't trust a, say weekly scan of your
> harddrives, to find any virus that has been recieved during the
> week. When it comes to virii you don't want to take any chances. At
> least I don't...

Most virus scanners can do it on every boot-up. I agree that one
shouldn't take chances, but as ordinary email cannot transmit a virus
there are no chances involved!

Regards,
Günter

Günter Minnerup
Visiting Fellow
Centre for European Studies/School of History
University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052
Tel. (+61 2) 9385 1363 (work)
Tel. (+61 2) 9398 3646 (home)