[pmmail-list] how can I avoid virus'es in the future?

Sorin Srbu pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 05 May 2003 14:32:53 +0200

On Mon, 5 May 2003 21:07:18 +1000, Günter Minnerup wrote:

>> He asked, I responded. AFAIK, the guy said he used Pmm as the
>> mailer. Pmm *is* able to transmit virii. What text-based mailer are
>> you referring to?
>
>How can PMM transmit virii (whatever they are: the correct pedantic
>plural is viri)?

Yeah, yeah...

>PMM send pure ASCII text, which cannot contain
>executables.

Have you ever recieved an attachment? Have a look at the raw
ascii-file. Within there's a big block with the executable encoded.
Pmmail sees that and pops it up in the attachment field in the
mail. Note that Pmm doesn't necessarily decode and run this
automatically. That 's what I mean with transmitting a virus,
nothing else.

>> If I were you, I wouldn't trust a, say weekly scan of your
>> harddrives, to find any virus that has been recieved during the
>> week. When it comes to virii you don't want to take any chances. At
>> least I don't...
>
>Most virus scanners can do it on every boot-up. I agree that one
>shouldn't take chances, but as ordinary email cannot transmit a virus
>there are no chances involved!

It's your computer, you do as you please. This is however OT. Let's
quit ok?

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer		Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,		Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals >> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,			Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University	Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden		Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.