[pmmail-list] The rat's leaving the ship...

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 06 May 2003 14:36:29 -0700

On Fri, 02 May 2003 15:16:50 -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:

>On Fri, 02 May 2003 11:28:46 -0400, James Canning wrote:
>
>>Be advised that mail originating via THe Bat! is blocked by a lot of
>>commercial email servers.
>>
>>The problem was mass mailing software that allows users to attach a
>>bogus header that makes it seem to originate via The Bat!, as well as
>>some other common mail clients.
>
>That's pretty stupid.  IMHO, any organization that would block email
>based upon the the name of a legitimate email client listed in the
>x-mailer line in the header is exhibiting gross ignorance or laziness
>or both.

It is stupid, but also very, very common.  I do e-mail forwarding for people in
Oregon's square dance community so they can have a constant e-mail address no
matter how many times they change ISPs.  In doing so, I discovered that
Hewlett-Packard, among other companies, will reject any e-mail from an @aol.com
user that is not actually sent from one of  AOL's mail servers.  My forwards
were all bouncing.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.