[pmmail-list] OT Gender (was Re: Pendatic but Wrong!)

Frank Winkler - Sun Germany - Sun Services pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:18:14 +0200 (MEST)

 >How did that happen!?  The word for the biological (i.e. sometimes
 >pathenogenic) "wetware" virus came first; so I would have expected
 >the "software" virus (which is named after it's wetware
 >counterpart) to follow it's gender too!  Or is this just a
 >convention to distingiush between the different usages?

I supposse the latter. Basically this is to distinguish between two
homonymic words with different meanings - even the result of the two is
quite similar for creatures and computers. In the German language, there
are some more "couples" with different genders, whereas in English, we have
different words which sound the same but which can't even be distinguished
by the gender ;) ...

Regards

Frank Winkler                                 frank.winkler@germany.sun.com
Sun Microsystems - Remote Admin Center
Sonnenallee 1                                       Voice +49 89 46008.2755
85551 Heimstetten - Germany                           Fax +49 89 46008.2740