[pmmail-list] The rat's leaving the ship...

Hayo Baan pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 18:26:25 +0200 (CEST)

Xav said:

> On Thu, 08 May 2003 09:03:41 -0500, Kari Suomela wrote:
>
>>Lack of HTML!
>
> Thank God for that !!
>
> Whatever the position of BSW, I am happy with the product I have and
> that is after looking at a lot of others.  I simply prefer the
> interface of PMMail.    I have the product now.     Yes there may need
> to be upgrades in the future to handle specific things to do with ISPs
> and if these don't come, I may have to change.   But I am not missing
> out on stuff right now.

I don't really care about the (lack off) HTML support (in fact the OS/2
version did it quite nicely, stripping all html, allowing you to open the
message in your browser).  I really liked PMMail/2, as I have done since the
very beginning  (which is ages ago).  This was when I was primarily (only)
using OS/2.

However, since buying a (not) yet? supported scanner, I am forced to use
Windows XP as well so I started looking for a mailer program which was
available for both platforms, and which can do all I need it to do.

Guess what?  I found that Mozilla mail can be made to behave as I like it, and
in fact offers me much more.  Amongst others, the really superb junk filter;
after a few days 'training' it manages to filter all (>98%) my junk correctly!
It is furthermore an actively developed product AND it runs on multiple
platforms.  My OS/2 and Windows XP version even share the exact same profile,
resulting in exactly the same look and feel on both platforms :-)

The only thing that really is (still) a lot better on PMMail, are its
filtering capailities.  They, as of now, can't be matched with Mozilla's.
Though I was a heavy user of these filtering capabilities, I found that I can
live without them. Heck, maybe the Mozilla guys will develop something similar
to the complex filters in PMMail.

All in all, I've now totally converted to Mozilla (I've even managed to merge
my mail archive to Mozilla).

MAYBE, if BSW comes up with a much improved mailer program, both for Windoze
and OS/2, I would think about switching back, but for now, they have lost me.

Cheers,
    Hayo

--
"I meant," said Ipsilore, bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes
living worth while?"

    - Sourcery by Terry Pratchett